For over 90 years, First Christian Church of Yuma has shared the life changing Gospel of Jesus Christ throughout Yuma and around the world.
FCC was first organized on December 6, 1922, when a group of Christians began meeting at a lodge and community building called "Rapson Hall." This was a single room auditorium filled with folding chairs. From a nucleus of about 20 Christians, the meeting place soon proved inadequate for the needs of the congregation. Through the years, the church continued to outgrow its current facilities and had to relocate and build ever larger structures.
In 1958, one of the elders heard of property that was available in a growing area. The new property, surrounded by desert, was located at Madison Avenue and 26th Place. Through a great deal of personal self-sacrifice, the deadline to purchase the property was met and dreams began to take shape. A new sanctuary, administration, and educational buildings were built, and on December 6, 1964, the people rejoiced in the first service at their new church home.
In 1998, the FCC leadership began praying for, and seeking, the will of God for the coming century. After realizing the need to relocate, 40 acres of land at 6E and 32nd Street were purchased in 2001. Immediate work began on the master plan for a new church campus. Construction began on a 63,000-square-foot facility in 2003, and on January 9, 2005, the church body moved to its current location.
First Christian Church exists to carry out Christ's command to "go and make disciples of all nations." The Gospel is being taken across the city of Yuma and around the world.
What started with 20 Christians in 1922 has grown to over 1000 today. All of this stems from the church's ongoing commitment to exalt the Lord Jesus Christ and to spread His Gospel message.